Genesis 13
The other day I went to a baseball game, and upon arriving at the field, I immediately looked to the outfield fence to see how big/short the field is. Later in the game, I noticed that one of the players seemed to be swinging for the fence instead of trying to move the runner over. I thought in my mind, "Quit trying to hit the ball out. The game is played on the field." Suddenly, I was convicted in my heart of the times I try to bypass living for God in order to gain temporary pleasures. Games are won and lost on the field. How many losses am I racking up by not focusing on the mission field God has created for me?
The only positive game-time situation that doesn't happen on the field is the aforementioned home run. This does not, however, weaken the analogy. In fact, it may bring into light an interesting point. In baseball, players don't attempt to beat the player opposite them; they beat the ball. In our Christian life, we are constantly waging war against the wiles of the devil. In following the metaphor, the ball would be related to evil devices of Satan which belong over the fence.
Now there are some good things that are done off the field to prepare the athlete for battle on the field such as batting practice, strength/conditioning training, etc. These could refer to trials and situations we face before we give our lives to Christ that help us be a better Christian and give us our particular position of ministry on this "mission field."
Sunday, July 18, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment